As part of our scholarship Initiative for 2013, The Tyough Foundation recently initiated talks with the Mama Abayol Orphanage in Makurdi, Benue State.
Although we are just at the inquiry stage, I felt the need to put this up in order to provide awareness and possibly garner support from individuals who can help, support accelerate this initiative.
Our Primary Goal with this 2013 Scholarship Initiative is to provide a Full Scholarship to as many orphans as our financial capabilities provide for. This will cover the cost of Tuition and any other Academic costs for their entire Secondary Education.
Our Criteria and Process:
At the conclusion of discussions with the orphanage, we will request the current portfolio of all the orphans who are within the age bracket of Junior Secondary Education (JSS 1 & JSS 2).
We will review their previous performances (Primary education) to determine their academic performance.
Based on that performance, we will award an initial 3 year scholarship to cover their Junior secondary education.
At the completion of the JSS Class, we will conduct a review of their performances and if satisfactory, award a scholarship for the remaining 3 years of Senior Secondary Education and also cover the costs of their final W.A.S.S.C.E Exams
Areas where you can contribute:
- We are Open to donations from the public – email : email@example.com for more information
- We will need to formally request permission from the state government through the office of the Commissioner for Women and Social development. The Ministry above which the orphanage falls under. We are also seeking some form of partnership with state governments, to cater for their educational needs. Any contributions in this area is welcome.
- We are Open to Partnerships and would also encourage you to get in touch via email.
- We are also open to suggestions and information regarding other orphanages we can contact and support.
- We require volunteers to help from time to time. While the website is still under construction, Please send your name and details to firstname.lastname@example.org
I personally visited the Orphanage in Makurdi last week and must insist that I am keen that a decision is finalized before the beginning of the next academic session which should start at the last quarter of 2013. Special thanks to all our volunteers who are working hard to make this initiative a success.
Please Note: We are also currently working on a new initiative for 2014 (Inform N Inspire) and will provide more information on how you can participate soon.